Chapter
2
Clarris
finished her solo with an echoing final chord. The people of Ilora,
attending the yearly recital, clapped. Her piece had been wonderful.
She had played the second movement from Arthoir's String Ensemble,
all on guitar.
Ashira
stood to one side, dressed in a fine green gown. She was nervous
about her piece. She had chosen the third movement of her father's
Wind Ensemble. It was a quick, lively piece. She had practiced for
months trying to perfect it, and felt she knew it by heart. However,
now that she was about to go on stage, it felt as though every note
had fled from her mind. She took a deep breath trying to calm her
nerves.
She
watched Clarris walk off stage, gathered her courage, and started up
the steps, flute in hand. She got to the front center and looked out
over the clearing. It was filled with the people of Ilora, the
village her father had founded when she was only a year old. People
had moved from other villages in the woods, and they were now staring
up at her. They all knew that the chief's daughter struggled with
music, something that was unheard of in their society.
Ashira
stood erect, held the flute up to her mouth, and took a few deep
breaths. She closed her eyes and started playing, letting the first
warbling note sound over the heads of the listeners. Certain that
she was on the right pitch, she pushed on. Malimu, her maestro, had
told her yesterday to just keep playing, no matter if she messed up.
Which
she did. At forty seconds into the piece, she blew a little too
hard, causing a shrill whistle to ring out instead of the pitch she
wanted. Not faltering for a moment, she pressed on. The audience's
faces were stoic, each person trying to show that they had not heard
the error. Clarris stood off to one side, watching her friend and
smiling encouragingly. She knew Ashira may need to see a friendly
face in the crowd, and she was determined to be it.
As
Ashira continued to play, her tempo wandered back and forth, not
intentionally. She did not notice, but her audience did. Now some
were frowning, dissatisfied that their chief's daughter could not
keep tempo. This was the last performance before she received her
talent, and she still played like a ten year old.
Finally,
seven minutes later, Ashira finished the piece. There was a
smattering of applause, and she bowed. She walked off stage to her
left, keeping a straight face. Clarris met her at the bottom of the
steps.
“You
did great!” she said, grinning.
Ashira
looked at her friend and shrugged, dropping her head.
“I
played like I was ten years old. They could all tell,” she said,
depressed.
Clarris
took her into her arms and hugged her friend.
“Remember,
everyone has a talent. You are good at music, really. You just
might have a talent in something else.”
Ashira
simply nodded and the two of them walked away from the crowd toward
the trees. They could hear the clarinet behind them, the next
soloist, sounding out an intricate arpeggio.
“Ashira!”
came a voice from behind them. Malimu, their maestro, had detached
himself from the crowd and followed. “Ashira, you did well.”
Ashira
shook her head.
“You
of all people know I messed up multiple times,” she said.
“That's
why I wanted to talk to you,” he said.
Ashira
felt her stomach sink. Surely he was about to tell her where she
messed up and what to work on. He stopped a few feet away from her.
“I've
been thinking that maybe you're a singer,” he stated.
“Singing?”
she said, looking up. Singing was something people from Camena did,
not people from Acustia. “But I'm Acustian, not Camenian. My
talent must be with instruments.”
“Let's
keep walking and we'll talk about it,” Malimu said. He started
forward toward the village. Clarris and Ashira followed.
“What
makes you think I can sing?” she asked him.
“Well,
you can't play any of the wind or string instruments that we have
here. I had you test out all of them last year, remember? The only
one you did well at was the flute, and that was because you had prior
practice with it.”
Ashira
remembered the hours spent in Malimu's small hut, testing each
instrument. She had tried everything from bagpipes to the cello to a
trombone. Nothing clicked.
“So
you think I may have a voice for singing?”
Malimu
held up his hands and shrugged. “You could. I've never heard you
sing. However, being from Kadencia, I wouldn't know much about
singing. I only know about drums and instruments.”
Malimu
hailed from the land far to the West, Kadencia. His complexion was
darker than the Acustians, who had fair white skin. It was even
darker than Camenians, who had olive skin and black hair.
“However,
I do know somebody who could test you for it. The best vocal maestro
in all Amrahn lives in Aetheris, the capital.”
Ashira
stopped walking and looked at him in surprise.
“Aetheris?
That's over two hundred kilometers away!”
Clarris
decided to voice her thoughts. “You may just find you're good at
it. It's not a bad idea, really. And, if you go to Aetheris, you
could see the capital!”
Clarris
and Ashira had spent many hours in the tops of the trees, looking out
over the vast forest and wondering what the rest of the world was
like. They had been taught about the other lands, and had heard
stories, but hearing about them and actually seeing them in person
were different.
Ashira
conceded the point. “That's true. But what about my father? What
will he think?”
Arthoir
pondered her request, sitting at the table inside their small hut.
Malimu and Clarris stood near the doorway, watching. Ashira stood
calmly before her father, not daring to even breathe very loud. As
she had walked toward the village, the thought of leaving had had
more and more appeal.
Arthoir's
thoughts were racing, evaluating the situation. He knew his daughter
did not do as well at music as everyone else. He knew she felt like
an outcast because of it. He also knew that she really didn't belong
in this small village for the rest of her life. Fate had brought her
into his life, and now perhaps he should give fate the opportunity to
continue to guide her.
“Yes.”
Ashira's
eyes went huge. She was stunned. Clarris screeched and clapped her
hands together. Then she embraced Ashira in a hug.
Malimu
simply nodded.
“You
are old enough to take care of yourself for a while. However, I want
you to find a group to travel with after Malimu leaves for Kadencia,
understand? I don't want you traveling alone more than you must,”
Arthoir said with some concern. “I would go, but as chief, I'm
bound to the village.”
Ashira
nodded mutely.
“Excellent.
We'll set out next Monday, then, once I am packed and ready to go,”
Malimu said. He smiled, bowed slightly to Arthoir, then left with
the hut, his patterned yellow and red shawl gleaming slightly in the
sunlight.
The
days seemed to go by slowly. Ashira was so on edge she could hardly
focus on preparing. Arthoir took it upon himself to pack many of the
things she was overlooking, like a hairbrush and a canteen.
“I
wonder what Camenians look like,” Clarris said. She and Ashira sat
in the top of a tree, looking out over the forest one last time
before she departed. “Do you think they are dark, like Malimu?”
“Not
as dark. I've heard their skin is lighter than his, but as light as
ours.”
Clarris
nodded, looking north toward the mountains. The nearest peak stood
about seventy kilometers away. Ashira noticed which was her friend
was gazing and joined her.
“That's
the direction of Aetheris,” Ashira said after a moment. “If the
mountain wasn't there, it would be almost a straight journey.”
“Kind
of makes you wish you could fly,” Clarris said dreamily. “Then
you would have to walk over all the hills and through the trees.”
She looked at Ashira. “It's going to be a long journey, you know.
Probably a couple weeks with all the stops backtracking.”
Malimu
had drawn a crude map of the path they would take to reach Barath.
He had shown Ashira her path northward from there.
Ashira
nodded.
“Yeah,
probably. But I'll finally get out of this forest.”
“Think
you'll be safe?” Clarris asked, worry crossing her face.
“I
think so. Nobody knows I don't have magic.”
“But.
. .,” Clarris hesitated, not sure she should say it. She pressed
on anyway. “What about your hair? Nobody has blonde hair in
Amrahn. You stick out.”
Ashira
didn't take offense. On the contrary, she was glad her friend had
pointed it out.
“You're
right. Perhaps I should dye it before I leave?”
“Oh,
but it's so beautiful. I've always loved its color,” Clarris said,
wishing now that she had kept quiet.
“It
will go away eventually. I think I better do it. Want to help?”
Clarris
nodded, reluctant to hide something so lovely.
The
day Ashira and Malimu were to set out, she was awakened by Arthoir
gently nudging her.
“I've
got everything ready near the door. We'll eat, then I've got a
surprise. Get up,” he said, leaving the area that was her
partition of the hut. She sat up and dressed, putting on her
traveling tunic and boots.
The
boots had been given her by Clarris's father, a leather-worker by
trade. She packed her flute in the specially designed sheath at her
waist. Had she been able to make magic with her music, this sheath
would allow her to quickly grab her instrument and play. As it was,
she was not yet seventeen. The relic of Acustia gave people their
magic at that age, giving them plenty of time to perfect their
talents.
But
nobody had ever struggled as much as Ashira, and it worried her
father as well as her instructor.
Breakfast
was barley porridge, with honey and lemon juice. Ashira knew that
lemons were a rare thing in this part of the forest, and so thanked
her father for the delicious treat. There wasn't much said between
them as they ate.
Arthoir
cleaned up breakfast while Ashira checked her bag for everything she
would need. They would be traveling with only the packs on their
backs, and she did not want to be without something.
As
she checked, she wondered what her father had to show her.
“Follow
me,” he said, leading her out of the village and into the woods.
She did so, keeping behind him a few paces. After ten minutes, they
reached a small pool of still water.
“I
want you to watch the surface of the water as I play this song,” he
said, getting out his flute. Sitting cross-legged near the water, he
closed his eyes. Ashira knelt beside him and looked at the water.
“This song is my farewell to you, Ashira. I call it 'Sunlight
Child.'”
He
started to play, quietly at first. The tempo was moderate, not too
fast. The melody was light, yet distant. Ashira was so entranced by
the beauty of the song that she did not initially notice the change
on the water's surface.
Images
were forming. At first came a bright dawn over the woods. Then the
surface shimmered and shifted. Now it showed a woman being chased by
men and dogs through the forest. She carried a small blue bundle.
The water glistened, and the scene changed. The bundle was now in
the hollow of a tree, with a brown-haired man standing by and looking
at it. Next came the image of the first woman, lying against the
base of a tree. Her head was to one side, and it was obvious that
she was dead.
Ashira
felt tears going down her cheeks for the woman, though she did not
know why.
The
next scene was that of a village. It showed a sickly, brown-haired
woman holding the small blue bundle. She was watching men near the
edge of the huts, each of whom held various musical instruments. As
Ashira watched, a wall of vegetation grew up around the village.
Then she saw why. The men and dogs were outside the wall, blocked
from gaining entrance.
Ashira
understood that whatever the blue bundle was, it was important. One
woman had died for it, and now men were trying to keep it away from
the dogs and other men.
The
image shifted back to that of the dawn. Then it blended into the
face of an infant, surrounded by swaddling blue cloth, with bright
blonde hair. Then it dissipated.
And
then she fully understood.
Ashira
sat back, the implication of what her father was showing her hitting
home. Now she knew why she was blonde while everyone else had brown
hair. Now she knew why she had to work so hard at music while it
came so easily to her peers.
Now
she knew that Arthoir was not her real father.
At
that point, the music changed. Arthoir, his eyes now open, sensed
that she understood. He switched and started playing music full of
longing and pain, full of the loss of the woman, who was likely
Ashira's mother.
Ashira
sat in silence, contemplating, her head down. Arthoir completed the
song and put his flute down, but did not speak. He knew he would
have to tell her sometime, and this seemed the best way.
“I
wonder if my father survived,” she finally said. Her face showed
no emotion.
“I
don't know,” Arthoir said quietly.
Another
minute passed. Ashira looked up at him.
“Why
did you wait?”
Arthoir
hesitated. He had not wanted her to feel even more like an outcast.
Now, in retrospect, he wondered if keeping this from her had not
actually made things worse.
“I
thought it would make you feel even more different than everyone
else.”
She
nodded slowly. It made sense. She wasn't sure how she would have
taken and used the information. She wasn't sure what to do with it
now, either.
“I
wanted to show you before you went out into the world, so you would
know if anything ever happens to me.”
She
looked at him.
“Nothing
will happen to you while I'm gone,” she said, sadness filling her
chest. “You are my father, no matter if I wasn't born to you and
Ilora.” The tears came readily. She stood, and he mimicked her.
They embraced.
“You
are my daughter. Ilora loved you just as much as I do now, even for
the short while she was with us,” he said.
They
released each other. Ashira wiped her eyes and took a deep,
shuddering breath.
They
made their way back to the village in silence. Ashira was thinking
about her life. Arthoir was thinking about his daughter's future.
Clarris
was teary eyed.
“You
come back, all right?” she said. Even when sad she was still her
happy-go-lucky self. She hugged Ashira tight. They held each other
for a few moments, then released.
“I'll
be fine. I'll bring a gift back for you from Aetheris,” She said,
smiling. She wiped a tear away, the turned to her father, who stood
near the door to their small home.
He
looked at her for a few seconds, then swept her into his arms.
“The
world is a big place. Trust your instincts to keep you safe. Don't
let emotion overrule your decisions. Be strong and have courage to
do the right thing.”
Ashira
held onto him, not wanting to let go. He had always been there for
her. She had never been away from him that she could remember. Now
she wouldn't see him for maybe a few months or more.
Arthoir
finally released her. She backed away, head down, tears flowing. He
took her shoulder. She looked up at his golden eyes. He looked
right back into her bright emerald eyes.
“Come
back to me. Fate brought you here, and now it's taking you away.
But you are still in charge of your destiny.”
She
nodded.
“I
have a gift that I brought from Vitaela the last time I attended the
Chiefs' Conference,” he said. He unbuckled his belt and handed her
removed an ornate green sheath she had never seen before. “This is
a dagger, made from Celfsteinian Steel,” he explained.
Ashira
pulled it from the sheath and examined it. The hilt was red,
contrasting beautifully with the green sheath.
“It's
beautiful,” she said. “I hope I don't have to use it.”
“I
hope not. But it's yours. I was planning on waiting until you
turned seventeen, but now is just as good a time, since you're
leaving.”
Ashira
felt the tears just waiting to spill over.
“I
love you,” she sobbed.
“And
I love you. Now go.”
She
turned away and walked to Malimu, who stood waiting by the edge of
the village. They walked a few paces before Ashira turned around.
She held up her hand in farewell to her father and her best friend.
They stood near her hut, smiling, and waved back. She turned around
again, this time determined not to turn around again, and followed
Malimu into the woods.
As
she walked away, she heard a flute playing from the village, the
melody floating through and above the trees. It was her father,
playing the song from that morning that he had composed just for her
farewell.
Ashira
closed her eyes and let the tears continue to flow.
She
looked at him.
“Nothing
will happen to you while I'm gone,” she said, sadness filling her
chest. “You are my father, no matter if I wasn't born to you and
Ilora.” The tears came readily. She stood, and he mimicked her.
They embraced.
“You
are my daughter. Ilora loved you just as much as I do now, even for
the short while she was with us,” he said.
They
released each other. Ashira wiped her eyes and took a deep,
shuddering breath.
They
made their way back to the village in silence. Ashira was thinking
about her life. Arthoir was thinking about his daughter's future.
Clarris
was teary eyed.
“You
come back, all right?” she said. Even when sad she was still her
happy-go-lucky self. She hugged Ashira tight. They held each other
for a few moments, then released.
“I'll
be fine. I'll bring a gift back for you from Aetheris,” She said,
smiling. She wiped a tear away, the turned to her father, who stood
near the door to their small home.
He
looked at her for a few seconds, then swept her into his arms.
“The
world is a big place. Trust your instincts to keep you safe. Don't
let emotion overrule your decisions. Be strong and have courage to
do the right thing.”
Ashira
held onto him, not wanting to let go. He had always been there for
her. She had never been away from him that she could remember. Now
she wouldn't see him for maybe a few months or more.
Arthoir
finally released her. She backed away, head down, tears flowing. He
took her shoulder. She looked up at his golden eyes. He looked
right back into her bright emerald eyes.
“Come
back to me. Fate brought you here, and now it's taking you away.
But you are still in charge of your destiny.”
She
nodded.
“I
love you,” she sobbed.
“And
I love you. Now go.”
She
turned away and walked to Malimu, who stood waiting by the edge of
the village. They walked a few paces before Ashira turned around.
She held up her hand in farewell to her father and her best friend.
They stood near her hut, smiling, and waved back. She turned around
again, this time determined not to turn around again, and followed
Malimu into the woods.
As
she walked away, she heard a flute playing from the village, the
melody floating through and above the trees. It was her father,
playing the song from that morning that he had composed just for her
farewell.
Ashira
closed her eyes and let the tears continue to flow.
No comments:
Post a Comment